Goals of the Code of Ethics & Values: To make our District a better District, built on mutual respect and trust. To promote and maintain the highest standards of personal and professional conduct among all involved in District government, District staff, volunteers, and members of the District's Board. This policy applies to all elected officials, officers, employees, members of advisory committees, explorers and volunteers of the District, herein called officials for the purposes of this policy.
The proper operation of democratic government requires that decision-makers be independent, impartial and accountable to the people they serve. The District has adopted this Code of Ethics & Values to promote and maintain the highest standards of personal and professional conduct in the District's government.
All elected and appointed officials, District employees, volunteers and others who participate in the District's government are required to subscribe to this Code, understand how it applies to their specific responsibilities and practice its eight core values in their work. Because we seek public confidence in the District's services and public trust of its decision-makers, our decisions and our work must meet the most demanding ethical standards and demonstrate the highest levels of achievement in following this Code.
As participatory officials in the District's government, we subscribe to the following Core Values:
As a Representative of the District, I will be ethical. In practice, this value looks like:
- I am trustworthy, acting with the utmost integrity and moral courage.
- I am truthful. I do what I say I will do. I am dependable.
- I make impartial decisions, free of bribes, unlawful gifts, narrow political interests, financial and other personal interests that impair my independence of judgment or action.
- I am fair, distributing benefits and burdens according to consistent and equitable criteria.
- I extend equal opportunities and due process to all parties in matters under consideration. If I engage in unilateral meetings and discussions, I do so without making voting decisions.
- I show respect for persons, confidences and information designated as "confidential."
- I use my title(s) only when conducting official District business, for information purposes or as an indication of background and expertise, carefully considering whether I am exceeding or appearing to exceed my authority.
- I will avoid actions that might cause the public or others to question my independent judgment.
As a Representative of the District, I will be professional. In practice, this value looks like:
- I apply my knowledge and expertise to my assigned activities and to the interpersonal relationships that are part of my job in a consistent, confident, competent and productive manner.
- I approach my job and work-related relationships with a positive, collaborative attitude.
- I keep my professional education, knowledge and skills current and growing.
As a Representative of the District, I will be service-oriented. In practice, this value looks like:
- I provide friendly, receptive, courteous service to everyone.
- I attune to and care about the needs and issues of citizens, public officials and District workers.
- In my interactions with constituents, I am interested, engaged and responsive.
As a Representative of the District, I will be fiscally responsible. In practice, this value looks like:
- I make decisions after prudent consideration of their financial impact, taking into account the long-term financial needs of the District, especially its financial stability.
- I demonstrate concern for the proper use of District assets (e.g., personnel, time, property, equipment, funds) and follow established procedures.
- I make good financial decisions that seek to preserve programs and services for District residents.
- I have knowledge of and adhere to the District’s Purchasing and Contracting and Allocation of Funds Policies.
As a Representative of the District, I will be organized. In practice, this value looks like:
- I act in an efficient manner, making decisions and recommendations based upon research and facts, taking into consideration short and long term goals.
- I follow through in a responsible way, keeping others informed and responding in a timely fashion.
- I am respectful of established District processes and guidelines.
As a Representative of the District, I will be communicative. In practice, this value looks like:
- I positively convey the District's care for and commitment to its citizens.
- I communicate in various ways that I am approachable, open-minded and willing to participate in dialog.
- I engage in effective two-way communication, by listening carefully, asking questions and determining an appropriate response which adds value to conversations.
As a Representative of the District, I will be collaborative. In practice, this value looks like:
- I act in a cooperative manner with groups and other individuals, working together in a spirit of tolerance and understanding.
- I work towards consensus building and gain value from diverse opinions.
- I accomplish the goals and responsibilities of my individual position, while respecting my role as a member of a team.
- I consider the broader regional and statewide implications of the District's decisions and issues.
As a Representative of the District, I will be progressive. In practice, this value looks like:
- I exhibit a proactive, innovative approach to setting goals and conducting the District's business.
- I display a style that maintains consistent standards, but is also sensitive to the need for compromise, "thinking outside the box" and improving existing paradigms when necessary.
- I promote intelligent and thoughtful innovation in order to forward the District's policy agenda and District services.
Any official found to be in violation of this Code of Ethics and Values may be subject to Censure by the District Board. Any member of any advisory Committee found in violation may be subject to dismissal from the Committee. In the case of an employee, appropriate action shall be taken by the General Manager or by an authorized designee.